Thursday, April 8, 2010

God’s Perfect Solution

I don’t mean to be a one note song, but I get on the net and these guys just seem to be popping up everywhere. I was listening to this advocate of ‘The Law” He was preaching about how the people in the world hate God so much that there will only be a handful who will come to God without going through a horrific experience of horror, and of course this is because God is only calling a few, leaving the majority destined for the meat grinder; “They hate God’s laws particularly the Sabbath” he says, and goes on to talk about how the law keepers that are part of his group alone shall be saved. Sound familiar.

It’s interesting how much agreement some of these people have with the Muslims, and many of their arguments are similar. Some of them are in denial of the pre-existence of Jesus; both find it impossible to accept anything but a believer submitted in prostration to a fearsome God of wrath which conflicts sharply with a self sacrificing God who is love 1Jn 4:8, Jn3:16.

Neither can conceive of anything other than a law bound world of beaten to submission populations finally worn down by war and terror where only a handful find the full grace of God by their law keeping. Neither can grasp the concept that God creates even the nature of man, and he promises to change that nature so that man no longer requires intimidating threats and weighty sanctions to keep compressed and bottled up a capability for self seeking avarice.

I have an analogy from everyday life, so it’s a little crude, so I ask your pardon, but it’s one I see every day. I have dogs, and I can testify that no law will make my dogs stop barking at the neighbors. They know I don’t like them doing that and sometimes they’re trying to bark yet I’m staring at them so they try not to. It’s funny to see them convulsing with the bark that’s trying to escape while they struggle to keep their mouths shut. Dogs have some revolting predispositions, they sniff each other’s behinds and worse yet, I picked one up when it was younger and the stink had me gagging in seconds. The dog had excrement smeared all over her face; she had been having an evening snack. Now days I occasionally have to dispose of a dried artifact or two that they’ve carried into the house to chew on. God gave dogs their nature, as revolting as it sometimes is. Maybe there’s something to be learned from that.

The graphic example I provided, I felt necessary to include to create an image in our minds about how human nature must appear to God; and to point to the fact that dogs follow the nature of dogs, cats follow the nature of cats etc. It’s a very basic and simple reality.

Now the perfect solution to my dog problem would be to change their nature, but I can’t do this; but if I could, it would be the logical thing to do. It would save me a whole lot of problems. All my exasperated expressions of frustration and condemnation of their behavior is a pointless exercise in futility.

The same thing goes for human beings. The preacher can roll his eyes, condemning humanity with sighs of exasperation, rattling on about the shamefulness of human behavior, but it will change nothing, just as the Law of Commandments never really changed anything. Changing the nature of man is the logical solution. The history of Israel and the law demonstrate that man can’t change his own nature; so if it is to be change, God must do it. It would be illogical for God to expect something beyond human capability. To believe God expects such a thing would imply that God is unjust for expecting man to change his own nature, illogical for thinking he can or too weak to do it himself, none of which are true.

God gave man their nature in the first place, Rom 8:20 (YLT)”for to vanity was the creation made subject--not of its will, but because of Him who did subject it --in hope.”

The word translated ‘vanity’ has broader meaning then the word vanity alone (G3153 mataiotes mat-ah-yot'-ace from G3152; inutility; figuratively, transientness; morally, depravity:--vanity.)

I think that might describe human nature, but God subjected man to the nature of the flesh. God did it for a purpose, and I’d say that it is a case of aversion therapy. Those who repent and come to Jesus are those who are sick of the nature we possess, and reach out for a solution; one which he promises to provide. God will provide a new nature.

When we fully receive his promise, because of our experience, we will forever be thankful for God’s gift of a holy nature i.e. the divine nature. 2Pe1:3 His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. 4Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

So as to end on where I started; when I listen to advocates of the law preach; I’m hearing a lot of what distills down to: “those evil rotten disgusting human beings in this depraved, horrible, evil world of sin, selfishness, greed and debauchery; God is going to do something about it; he’s going to destroy them; and the few that remain will be terrified into obedience.” I think God has a better solution. It’s the logical solution. He’s going to simply create a new nature.

 

************

It is important that you understand; Everything on this blog is based on the current understanding of each author. Never take anyone's word for it, always prove it for yourself, it is your responsibility. You cannot ride someone else's coattail into the Kingdom.

Acts 17:11

************

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Nicely put!
I've noticed in my life more recently, as I'm trusting in God more and more, I feel that the Holy Spirit is taking residence in me. I think that where my heart is, the rest follows in tow. I'm finding that even my thoughts are changing. My focus these days has been radically altered than from it was just a few months ago. I'm under the belief that it's the power of God that's making the change. It certainly never happened before when I was trying my hardest to keep the laws!

Seeker Of Truth said...

Hi Gracefully,

It's interesting that once we come to the New Covenant, we discover Jesus and we begin to develop an actual relationship with Him, and when this happens, we notice a change taking place as the Holy Spirit opens our eyes and leads us, and we feel for the first time a real closeness to our Lord and Savior, whom it seems, we previously never truly knew.
Such is my case.

... and the joy is unbelievable!

Unknown said...

I can honestly remember thinking regarding non-WWCG/UCG people... "there will come a day when everyone will be sorry that they didn't know that truth that we know..."
Yikes, such sad thinking. Where was the love? And I know I wasn't the only one who thought this. It was ingrained in us that we were the elect.

xHWA said...

"It was ingrained in us that we were the elect." -gracefully

and some of us were more elect than others.

Unknown said...

Especially if you went to Ambassador College.
I have no intentions to bash, and I know that this blog does not encourage bashing of Armstrongism, it's just that if they only knew the damage they did to people's lives- so very sad. I wish very badly to have those years back... but, I THANK God for His love, patience and grace in my life now and that I was able to overcome my past! My desire is that those who are still in the bonds of legalism can be set free- we're not truly living until we start living in Christ.